How to Fix Water Damaged Cabinets
If you have kitchen cabinets, most likely they are wood and at some point, they will have water damage. At some point, you will ask “How can I fix the water damaged cabinets?”
Does this picture look anything like the problem you have? Water and wood are not exactly the best combination together. In your kitchen, you have to be proactive to make sure this type of damage does not happen to your cabinets due to water. These images are all MDF cabinets that have been damaged.
The cabinets in these two pictures are more than the usual damage we see from the water. This is what happens when you hang WET rags from the cabinet doors.
Once the water makes its way down the cabinet door, it settles either in the cabinet panel seams or in this case between the base trim and the base of the cabinets. Water caused the cabinet to swell and the glue broke open at the seams.
So How can you prevent this from happening to you?
- Avoid cleaning with excess water-use a 50/50 vinegar and water mix, wipe excess moisture away.
- If there is a spill clean it up! Don’t wait. this could result in damage to your floors as well.
- Do not use abrasive cleaning pads – if you would not clean it with your car don’t use it on your cabinets.
- Do a checkup! How often do you repaint or refinish your floors? Cabinets-especially those by your sink get 2-3 times more wear and tear than other areas of your home. Taking the time to call a cabinet refinishing professional to evaluate if the cabinets are worn or starting to deteriorate can prevent problems in the future.
How do you fix water damaged cabinets?
- Have someone inspect them for you.
- This could be a quick fix, by sanding the area, applying primer and matching paint.
- If you have MDF damaged cabinets-it gets tricky. You need oil-based primers, sealers, and a cabinet grade paint to resist the water.
If you think you may have some water damage to your cabinets -call and ask! Be sure. Feel free to text or call us with what you are looking at, we are here to give you our experience on next steps to maintain the kitchen you love.